Friday, May 7, 2010

Bargains in Japan






What I loved most about the Japanese was their impartiality. With the likes of Harijuku and Shibuya you won't be judge on what you are wearing. Everyone has their own sense of style and people resepct you because of that. Unlike here in Australia trends almost dictate your social status or at least awareness of the social norm, and if you stray then sorry, but a prejudice has been formed.

In Japan I felt free and individual. My friend and I lived in gumboots and revolting trackies, (ok, we were living in the snow..) we wore the same make up two days in a row, and layered stripes with chequers with army prints with faux fur and we were still cool. And by cool I mean accepted!


Japanese style op shops are like the Salvation Army op shops but on steroids. They have the most A.M.A.Z.I.N.G range of clothes, hats, shoes, skiis, furniture, linen, sporting equipment all under one roof. You could literally spend hours in there. I'm not really an op shopper myself. I simply don't have the patience to scurry through all the duds to find a treasure. But here, well, it's too easy to find treasures.
I was traveling light so I was really limited to what I could grab, but I couldn't go past this Top Gun style leather jacket. Ok, so I don't wear it much but it cost me AUD$10.00 and how cool is it? I love how old and worn it is. Someone has loved this jacket and I love wondering where it has been in its previous life. To me it's worth so much more than $10

You can imagine then, my jealousy of The Satorialist hanging out at a Tokyo Flea market. Why didn't I know about these?! The Japanese are so effortlessly cool.
Images: The Sartorialist

No comments:

Post a Comment